At the root of the Prescription Drug Abuse epidemic is the reckless prescription of the drugs themselves.
A couple of shocking statistics that we have shared here but bear repeating:
- Purdue Pharmaceuticals revenue for OxyContin alone in 2010 was: $ 3,084,262,027.00
- Number of prescriptions written for Hydrocodone (Vicodin) in the U.S in 2010 was: 106,777,390
- “According to recent estimates, Florida prescribes ten times more oxycodone pills than all other states combined. ” (U.S. Attorney Wifredo A .Ferrer stated recently)
- The United States makes up only 4.6 percent of the world’s population, but consumes 80 percent of its opioids — and 99 percent of the world’s hydrocodone (the opiate that is in Vicodin)
- 1 in 5 U.S. adults taking meds for Psychological Disorders
It’s no wonder that practices like the above have led to rampant prescription drug abuse in the United …